Friday, February 16, 2018

Upside Down, Inside Out


I discovered last Friday that the Phoenix Art Museum had moved this huge sculpture called "Upside Down, Inside Out" by Anish Kapoor to a new location so I decided to try again to get a good photo of it.  I've taken many photos of this sculpture with very little luck but, this one is the best I've gotten.  Kapoor is the same artist who created "Cloudgate" the big stainless steel sculpture in Chicago that everyone lovingly calls "The Bean".


This is the type of photo I usually get.  All washed out because the automatic setting is seeing all that black so it opens up wide.  If I manually set the camera, the sculpture turns out a black blob and you can't see the shape of it.  So I'm thrilled!  I finally got a decent shot of it.

By the way, wouldn't you just love to see how the museum staff moves these huge sculptures from place to place?  I'd really enjoy seeing that.

14 comments:

biebkriebels said...

You made some excellent photos of it, the reflection is great. I have seen the Bean too, I like his work.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh this is a joy Sharon, such a fabulous foil for reflections. I love that second shot too, the actual reflection is crisp and clear.

Steve Reed said...

Maybe they roll it? :)

It's a beautiful sculpture. I love the way Anish Kapoor experiments with reflections.

Judy Ryer said...

I'd like to see how something like this is made!

Lois said...

It's beautiful! Funny, the first thing I thought of when I opened your post was the "The Bean".

Christine said...

Thrilled to see another piece by Kapoor! Great photos Sharon & now you have me wondering about how they move these huge pieces!

William Kendall said...

Terrific takes, Sharon!

RedPat said...

You got some great pics of this piece, Sharon!

Lowell said...

I can tell you how the staff moves pieces from place to another: Veeeeerrrrry carefully!

An interesting sculpture to say the least! I wonder if it has any special meaning to the artist?

Nice photo, too!

Bill said...

Well done, Sharon. Great photos of an unique piece of art.

Catarina said...

Those are great pictures!
You succeded.
; )

Thérèse said...

I must admit that I am not a fan of Anish Kapoor but I must also admit that I like to see pictures taken of his sculptures like the famous Chicago's one.
So much fun to look at the two images you took. It beautifuly demonstrates what I mean.

Jack said...

Interesting form. I tend to take the photo in its "black blob" form and then use some photo editing to lighten it up a bit.

Jade Blue Afterglow said...

I went to this installation great photos! They reminded how time and space fold together to be a single point.