Wednesday, October 18, 2017

A Funny Place for a Nap



I spotted this squirrel high up on a dead branch at the Desert Botanical Garden last Sunday and I watched him for a long time and he didn't move a muscle.

In fact, I thought it was an optical illusion until I used my zoom to zero in on him and see that it was indeed a squirrel sitting very high up and looking like he was taking a nap.



















Finally he opened his eyes but he still didn't move.  So, I snapped a couple of shots and continued on with my walk.


When I returned to the same spot I saw that he had changed positions but he was still up there in that same spot.  At least I knew he was mobile so I could stop worrying about him.  He must have been up there for a reason.

15 comments:

Andy said...

Power nap. With me 10 or 15 minutes is good.

RedPat said...

I guess he has a good view of his surroundings should anything happen!

Kate said...

He had a prized position to protect himself from onlookers and a special way to rejuvenate himself.

Christine said...

I've seen a few squirrels like statues - they can really 'freeze' on the spot! He's a cute little fellow!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh that's too adorable Sharon, he's found himself a safe spot to nap, love it!

Steve Reed said...

Great shots! He must have been enjoying the warmth of the sun. That's my guess, anyway!

Karl said...

Beautiful shots, Sharon, he is so cute !

William Kendall said...

He seems quite zen. It seems to be a different kind of squirrel than the ones we see here.

Lowell said...

What great fun! I've not seen a squirrel sleeping before...usually they are very attentive to their surroundings! He must have felt safe up there. Maybe a fox was waiting at the bottom of the tree and the squirrel decided the best thing he could do is wait 'til the fox got tired and went home?

Lois said...

I'm sure he had his reasons for being in that spot. He certainly is beautiful and your photos are fantastic. It's almost like he was posing for you.

Thérèse said...

What a pose!
Your first shot is top! And such a camouflage if I can use the word when looking at the color of the dying cacti!

Silver in AZ said...

a nice, safe haven for a warm snooze. who could blame him/her?

Bill said...

A well deserved nap. The poor thing must have used a lot of energy getting that high up. The squirrel is a cutie and your close-up is awesome.

Catalyst said...

Why I believe that is the legendary Sentinel Squirrel, beloved protector of Little Squirrelettes. Or am I thinking of the Gambel's Quail?

Judy Ryer said...

Such nice telephoto shots! I would think he might want to watch out for a big hawk up there but he seems to be feeling pretty safe.