Sunday, September 17, 2017

A Special Learning Event


My "Art Challenge" group had a very special event last Friday night.  One of our members, Ted Wolter is an art teacher at the Chandler-Gilbert Community College and he treated us to a very special ceramics class.  That's Ted above showing us how apply the glazes to our chosen pieces.  Ted created a variety of pieces for us and we each chose as many as we wanted to tackle and learned to apply the glaze.  Those blue, barrel-like containers contained the different glazes and the sample pieces on the wall gave us an idea of what they would look like when fired.


These are my three pieces with the glaze applied.  What was interesting is that once they have been fired they won't look anything like they look right now.  My vase should turn out blue.  I promise I'll show you the end result once I get them back.  I can't wait to see how they turn out.


Jim Lowman has had some previous experience working with ceramics so he took this opportunity to try something new for his pieces.  He was burning strands of horse hair into his pieces.  It creates black, spidery lines.

I have a new post on Sharon's Sojourns today.  I'm visiting the oldest neighborhood in California.

7 comments:

Steve Reed said...

I took wheel-throwing for a couple of years, so I remember well the mystery of glazing! It was always a little bit of a surprise to see how pieces turned out, and how different glazes fire together. Can't wait to see yours!

Thérèse said...

I can't wait to see the results. What an interesting thing to do.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Have you seen 'The Great Pottery Throwdown' the British series about pottery making.. so good. Can't wait to see your glazed pots Sharon.

William Kendall said...

Terrific shots! I've seen this done in an art school here a couple of times.

Bill said...

Excellent shots Sharon. I have never tried this before, it looks like fun. I can't to see how your pots came out.

RedPat said...

Looking forward to seeing your pieces, Sharon!

Lowell said...

How interesting and how fun! I dabbled in pottery when I was young as my mother got involved in making it, but I never followed through and then we moved and she lost the people who kept her interested and motivated. I shall look forward to seeing how your pieces turn out. I rather like them the way they are! :)